I struggle to trust humans
I put up walls and I push people away
I struggle to trust my God
When things get hard, I tend to run and hide instead of run to the One who is always there.
When I tried to figure out what to write about for this week’s blog, I thought it would be a good idea to see what Bible story we will be talking about Thursday in Lang Hall. Naturally, we will be talking about Peter. The man who struggled to trust His leader and friend. The man who literally was walking on water, but still doubted that His Jesus would fail him. The man who saw Jesus straight ahead, but then looked to the storm and when he did that, he started to fall. The man I identify with.
Peter is like so many of us. We doubt that God will follow through. We look at all the storms in our lives, stress, anxiety, depression, death, work, tests, future plans, broken/hard relationships, and start to believe that God will not keep us on top of the water. We feel the pain and start to not trust that God has us.
So what do we do? When we are doubting, struggling to stay afloat, not trusting God.
What do we do?
I wish I had one simple answer of how we can do this. A “this is how you completely trust God with everything manual”. But, it’s not that simple. Like many of you, I’m still learning this. None of us are doing this perfectly. We struggle. We have to make the conscious decision every day to let go of the storms and look straight back to Jesus. We are learning every day what is means to trust in our God.
Siri, define trust: “to allow someone to have, use, or look after (someone or something of importance or value) with confidence”
Placing trust in God is allowing Him to have us, use us, and look after us with CONFIDENCE that He will take special care of us (something important and valuable). Trusting in Him is having confidence that He knows how to take special care of us. The definition of special is SO cool guys. It's “better, greater, or otherwise different from what is usual”. God is going to take care care of us in a better and greater way than we have ever experienced. God is going to take special care of you.
I wonder if Peter trusted that God was taking special care of Him.
So for now, we learn to trust in that. We take it day by day. Growing each day through the hard stuff. But knowing full well that we are in the hands of Someone Else. Someone who is going to take special care of us.
High School Musical’s #1 Fan, Enneagram type 2, chicken nugget lover
- Faith + Doubt // 8:00pm Lang Hall // Come join us as we explore His-STORY. This week Jenny Nelson continues the series on Faith + Doubt with the story of Peter. Bring a friend!
- Days for Girls // Days for Girls is a movement that increases access to menstrual care and education by developing global partnerships, cultivating social enterprises, mobilizing volunteers, and innovating sustainable solutions that shatter stigmas and limitations for women and girls. Currently, the movement movement has reached more than one million girls and counting. Click the graphic below for more info! #DaysforGirls
- Thanksgiving Services // Both Orchard Hill Church and Nazareth Lutheran Church are offering Thanksgiving services on Wednesday November 21st! The service at Naz starts at 6:00pm and Orchard’s starts at 7:00pm. We hope to see you there! #AllAreWelcome
- Production Team // Do you have a passion for working with video/audio/lighting equipment? Are you interested in learning more about production or being part of a production team? Well, you’re in luck! The BASIC Production Team is looking for more people to join! Click the graphic below or email Ben Franke at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more and sign up! #BASICTeams #BASICFam
- Urbana 2018 // December 27th - January 1st // St. Louis, Missouri // InterVarsity invites you to join over 13,000 students in worship. You'll get to hear amazing speakers, mingle with over 250 missions organizations (both international and global), and dive into the book of Revelation. Click the graphic below for more details! #Urbana2018
- Spring Break Mission Trips // If you haven't already heard, BASIC is offering mission trips over spring break. It’s not too late to sign up the mission trips to Haiti and Jamaica! See the graphic below for who to contact about more information! #SpringBreakMissions
- Life Groups // Looking to get more involved in BASIC? Joining a Life Group is a wonderful way to meet new people and share God’s love! Click the graphic below to sign up for a Life Group in Cedar Falls or Waverly (both on and off campus)! #LifeGroupLove
- Sunday Morning Worship // Join us on Sundays for church at Orchard Hill, Nazareth Lutheran Church, or Orchard Hill’s campus in Waverly! See the graphic below for service times and worship locations! #SundayWorship
Click any of the graphics below for more information!