I have known about God since I was a child, mostly because I was raised in a Christian household and in the church down the street. However, I didn’t actually know God and follow Him as a true believer until I came to UNI last fall and realized that before leaving home, I was simply just following a list of expectations that began fading away as my family became an “only go to church on Christmas and Easter” family. I was a total mess, and I knew I needed to find Jesus again. So, I guess you could say my decision to start going to BASIC and making friends there was exactly what I needed.
The idea of finding Jesus again wasn’t my only issue. I had also been doing acts of service for Him since I was in middle school. whether that was through cleaning up a person’s yard or building a house in Missouri after the tornadoes ripped through Joplin, I offered any help I could. However, all of that service didn’t mean much to me until I went behind the scenes as a counselor during an Angel Tree week for Lake View Camp, which is a place where children have at least one family member incarcerated and have the opportunity to get away from their daily chaos. This is when I began to see Jesus and his disciples (the counselors) impact from a completely different perspective.
Then, after having gone to BASIC during the fall semester, and as I began attending BASIC for the spring semester, my desire for Jesus and service that would glorify Him became stronger. When the staff at Lake View asked me to join their team as a counselor, I didn’t know what to do. Doing what I knew would be perfect for my situation, I prayed and read the Bible more than I ever had before. Through this diligence, I decided to go through with the application and interview process. Luckily, in mid-April, I was offered the position and accepted it.
Now, as I go into this crazy and extremely busy summer, I wish to see Jesus in a new way. A way in which I will not only be his disciple, but also be able to share the Gospel. However, as I wish to see and feel this impact of Jesus as His disciple, I worry about not seeing the seeds I plant in these campers grow. So, I have begun listening to the song “Broken Vessels (Amazing Grace)” by Hillsong Worship lately. It has helped me realize that I am His perfectly imperfect treasure. So, regardless of what you may have gone through this year or what you may go through this summer, know that you also are His perfectly imperfect treasure.
Future educator of the tiny humans, Dog lover, Grey’s Anatomy fanatic
- Backyard BASIC // Check out Backyard BASIC on June 7th from 6:00 - 9:00pm at 330 Oregon Rd. Join us for free food, games, and more! Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need a ride or want someone to go with.
- Decorah Day Trip // On June 29th you can join BASIC on a day trip to Decorah for just $10. This includes lunch, a tube float down the Iowa river, and transportation. Contact Carter Moore at email@example.com Click the graphic below for more information! #AllAreWelcome
- Summer BASIC // Check out the graphic below for a list of all of our summer events!
- Podcast // Miss a BASIC teaching or want to hear it again? You can now find all of our teachings on all of your favorite podcast platforms, including Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google, and more! Click the graphic below to learn more!
- Life Groups // Looking to stay involved in the BASIC community this summer? Joining a Life Group is a wonderful way to meet new people and share God’s love! Click the graphic below to sign up for a Summer Life Group! #LifeGroupLove
- Sunday Morning Worship // Join us on Sundays for church at Orchard Hill, Nazareth Lutheran Church, or Orchard Hill’s campus in Waverly! See the graphic below for service times and worship locations! #SundayWorship // Join us on Sundays for church at Orchard Hill, Nazareth Lutheran Church, or Orchard Hill’s campus in Waverly! See the graphic below for service times and worship locations! #SundayWorship
Click any of the graphics below for more information!