I have severe trust issues, guys. Like, severe.
Opening myself up to people is extremely difficult. Having been hurt in the past, my mind has become convinced that letting people in is basically asking to get hurt in one way or another. I know this probably isn’t healthy.
Yet, I’ve felt this fear seeping into my relationship with God. After losing friends, facing numerous health problems with my dad, and dealing with the divorce of my parents all in less than a 6-month time period, my trust in Christ has been rough around the edges. It’s hard to put my trust in Him when it feels like He’s throwing everything at me at once.
But I know that’s the point: rough times in our lives reveal how deep our faith truly is.
One of my closest friends said to me once that “God is basically a responsible parent. He’s not going to clean up our messes for us, but He’s going to encourage us to build the strength to persevere through whatever life is throwing at us. He’s not abandoning us, but He’s showing us how to become better people through Him.”
This stuck with me. As Christians, we have a choice: stay where we are and blame God for the bad things we go through or work with Him to grow stronger.
Isaiah 40:31 says, “Those who trust in the Lord will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles.” We need the strength of the Lord to get through our troubles, yet we need to trust that we are strong enough through Him to get through whatever He is placing in front of us; it’s a two-way street.
I am still terrible with trusting others. However, I think God is making it clearer to me that I need to trust that He has given me the strength to overcome any trial in front of me. And although I must follow His will, I am stronger when I walk beside him.
Yoga Instructor, Dog Lover, Good Noodle
- Decorah Day Trip // On June 29th you can join BASIC on a day trip to Decorah for just $10. This includes lunch, a tube float down the Iowa river, and transportation. Contact Carter Moore at firstname.lastname@example.org Click the graphic below for more information! #AllAreWelcome
- BASIC Summer Retreat // Join us for a Summer Retreat to Lake Hattie in Backus, Minnesota on August 2nd - 5th! There's fishing, swimming, boating, and more! Only $50 for lodging, food, and transportation. The fun you'll have while you're there? Priceless. Contact Carter Moore at email@example.com to sign up!
- Summer BASIC // Check out the graphic below for a list of all of our summer events!
- Podcast // Miss a BASIC teaching or want to hear it again? You can now find all of our teachings on all of your favorite podcast platforms, including Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google, and more! Click the graphic below to learn more!
- Global Leadership Summit // You're invited to gather with thousands of leaders across North America for The Global Leadership Summit! Join us at Orchard Hill Church on August 8th - 9th. Don't forget to click on the graphic below to register! The early bird registration deadline is this Tuesday, June 25th!
- Sunday Morning Worship // Join us on Sundays for church at Orchard Hill, Nazareth Lutheran Church, or Orchard Hill’s campus in Waverly! See the graphic below for service times and worship locations! #SundayWorship // Join us on Sundays for church at Orchard Hill, Nazareth Lutheran Church, or Orchard Hill’s campus in Waverly! See the graphic below for service times and worship locations! #SundayWorship
Click any of the graphics below for more information!