A Time for Reflection
With Thanksgiving break having wrapped up, I think now, as we should with all endings, it’s probably time to reflect a bit.
Out of curiosity, how many times did you give life updates to family and friends? Or if you live in a small town like me, how many times did you give life updates to family, friends, the grocery store clerk, the guys working the register at the gas station, and at least one or two random people who called to tell me they “saw my car parked down on Main street.”
I’ve talked to so many people, that after a while I find myself scrambling to get to a quiet place, a corner, a coffee shop, or even just sitting in my car outside. I just get exhausted so easily. These conversations we have over the holidays can seem so artificial, and it’s just so glaringly obvious when I skip over reality in order to find an answer that gets me out of the “spotlight of polite interest” a little quicker.
But I’d like to remind you all that there is room for authentic answers to the question “how have you been?” because Jesus has never once let on that listening to someone’s heart “takes too much of His time.”
Know that no matter how far the drive home is, you will never go so far that you find the exit sign to His kingdom, and as for me, no matter how often I find myself sitting in the corner, it’s okay--- because I am always sitting at His feet.
These things are so, so important. Believe me, that the power of prayer is so much more than both the feeling of inadequacy and the idea of distance.
And as we fall more in love with Jesus each day, have you ever noticed that the most broken things we have to say about ourselves usually have the BEST answers?
“I don’t know what I’m doing”
He does. Lean into it.
He’s both the father with the bandaid and the only doctor in the world that knows what’s wrong with you before you even make an appointment.
“Why are things like this?”
He surpasses all understanding, now know that where our understanding ends is where faith begins.
“Where do I go from here?”
Your compass has pages and the needle is always telling you to forget true north and just look up.
We have a lot of doubts about ourselves, and some days, our pain seems invalid, and our worries not really worth hearing. But it just isn’t true. Standing in my designated back corner of Lang Hall, I can truly say I have never loved this many people so inconceivably much all at one time.
You’re so loved, BASIC community. And valid. And covered in prayer.
The song “New Wine” by Hillsong is one of my current favorites when dealing with those times of uncertainty or even pain. I think it just illustrates so well the handle that God really does have on our lives and the way that He guides through it. So take a second to listen and reflect, all the while knowing that there is a holy, holy dance being performed here, between the way that we hurt and the way that He loves us.
Prayer Team Co-leader, Journal Enthusiast, Has an "uncomfortable fascination" with opossums
- Faith + Doubt // 8:00pm Lang Hall // Come join us as we explore His-STORY. This week Jeff Mickey continues the series on Faith + Doubt with the story of Jesus. Bring a friend! #AllAreWelcome
- Chick-Fil-A Par-Tay // This Thursday night after BASIC, the Chick-Fil-A Part-Tay is back! Free Chick-Fil-A sandwhiches at Bani's starting at 9:15pm! Come to Lang Hall at 8:00pm to feed your soul, then head to Bani's to feed your stomach! See the graphic below for more information!
- Days for Girls // Days for Girls is a movement that increases access to menstrual care and education by developing global partnerships, cultivating social enterprises, mobilizing volunteers, and innovating sustainable solutions that shatter stigmas and limitations for women and girls. Currently, the movement movement has reached more than one million girls and counting. Click the graphic below for more info! #DaysforGirls
- Christmas BASIC // On Sunday December 2nd, join us at Nazareth Lutheran Church for a special BASIC service! Join us at 6:00pm for a meal, jazz prelude at 6:45pm, then stay for a student led service at 7:00pm. The service is open to people of all ages, so bring your family and bring your friends! #ChristmasBASIC #SundayService #AllAreWelcome
- Christmas in Walnut // Looking for a volunteer opportunity, or a way to spread God’s love this Christmas season? Look no further! On Saturday December 8th, Christmas in Walnut is offering plenty of opportunities for you to volunteer and spread a little Christmas cheer. Click the graphic below for more information!
- Christmas Services // Both Orchard Hill Church and Nazareth Lutheran Church are offering Christmas services! Naz is offering services on December 23rd at 7:00pm and December 24th at 3:00pm, 5:00pm, 7:00pm, and 10:00 pm. Orchard Hill in Cedar Falls has on services on December 20th at 7:00pm, December 23rd at 10:00am, and December 24th at 1:00pm, 3:00pm, 5:00pm, and 7:00pm. Finally, Orchard Hill in Waverly has a service on December 23rd at 5:00pm. We hope to see you there! #AllAreWelcome
- Life Groups // Looking to get more involved in BASIC? Joining a Life Group is a wonderful way to meet new people and share God’s love! Click the graphic below to sign up for a Life Group in Cedar Falls or Waverly (both on and off campus)! #LifeGroupLove
- Sunday Morning Worship // Join us on Sundays for church at Orchard Hill, Nazareth Lutheran Church, or Orchard Hill’s campus in Waverly! See the graphic below for service times and worship locations! #SundayWorship
Click the graphics below for more information!