Inadequate. The 10 letter word that seems to scream at me and fill my head. Anyone else?
This was the word that I wrote down on my piece of paper Sanctuary night at BASIC. I pinned it to the somewhat empty board that would soon be filled with other brokenness -- eventually revealing a beautiful cross. In a way this was me admitting that inadequate was the word or feeling that kept me from truly trusting God.
Ironically enough, as I was writing it, I could not for the life of me remember how to spell it. I beat myself up about that, thinking “of course, how fitting. The word that says I am not good enough or smart enough or capable enough -- I can’t even spell.” Embarrassed and rushed I squeezed a guess on the paper, pinned it, and walked away--hoping no one would see who wrote it.
Fast forward one week--Brad Hillebrand was teaching at BASIC about Moses. I was sitting near the back, with my notebook ready to jot down more about the famous Sunday School hero I thought I was familiar with.
Then Brad said, “Tonight I am speaking to a certain, specific group of people. I’m talking to the ones who feel inadequate.” WHAT.
Brad continued to teach and every word he said felt like he was talking right to me, like God was so clearly using Brad’s words to reach my ears.
Moses felt inadequate, too. Yet God used him. God used him to save thousands of people, and to lead them all on a terrifying journey when Moses felt like he was not capable enough to do so. Maybe Moses wasn’t capable of that leadership. Maybe Moses wasn’t strong enough or brave enough or smart enough. But God was.
God knew those feelings that Moses felt, but He also knew that Moses was His creation--built to serve and live a life for Him. God knows your worries and doubts, too. But He created you -- built to serve and live a life for Him without the hindrance of your own self doubt.
Sometimes I feel so small, so insignificant, so inadequate. (Just like I did at Sanctuary.) But that is when I need to step back and realize those lies are not from God. God proved to me that very next week (during Brad’s teaching) that He sees me and He cares for me. And He wants to use me for a greater purpose, too-- just like He used Moses.
What’s your one word that is keeping you from hearing God’s truth? Maybe that truth isn’t going to be heard through someone on stage, but maybe God will use a text, or a conversation, maybe God is speaking to you right now.
Our God is so creative -- I encourage you to take a step back and look for the ways that He is speaking directly to you.
White mocha enthusiast, Lip sync champ, 8th grade C-team basketball player
- Faith + Doubt // 8:00pm Lang Hall // Come join us as we explore His-STORY. This week Andrea Pingel continues the series on Faith + Doubt with the story of Esther. Bring a friend! #AllAreWelcome
- Last Call for BASIC Swag // Looking for early Christmas present ideas for yourself or for a friend? New swag is avaliable, but TONIGHT IS THE LAST NIGHT TO ORDER, so make sure you order by midnight! Orders will be finished by Thanksgiving. Click the graphic below to browse our online shop! #BASICSWAG
- College-Age Lunch // Join us Sunday, November 11th after the 10:45 service at Orchard Hill Church in Cedar Falls for a free Thanksgiving Feast! Bring a friend and bring your appetite! #BLESS #Eat
- Days for Girls // Days for Girls is a movement that increases access to menstrual care and education by developing global partnerships, cultivating social enterprises, mobilizing volunteers, and innovating sustainable solutions that shatter stigmas and limitations for women and girls. So far, the movement has reached more than one million girls and counting. Click the graphic below for more info! #DaysforGirls
- Events Team // Raise your hand if you liked Fall Bash! How would you like to be a part of the team that helps plan and excute events like Fall Bash? Click the graphic below to join the Events Team and help be a part of the decision making! #EventsTeamSwag
- Urbana 2018 // December 27th - January 1st // St. Louis, Missouri // InterVarsity invites you to join over 13,000 students in worship. You'll get to hear amazing speakers, mingle with over 250 missions organizations (both international and global), and dive into the book of Revelation. The cost is only $515 before November 15th! Click the graphic below for more details! #Urbana2018
- Life Groups // Looking to get more involved in BASIC? Joining a Life Group is a wonderful way to meet new people and share God’s love! Click the graphic below to sign up for a Life Group in Cedar Falls or Waverly (both on and off campus)! #LifeGroupLove
- Sunday Morning Worship // Join us on Sundays for church at Orchard Hill, Nazareth Lutheran Church, or Orchard Hill’s campus in Waverly! See the graphic below for service times and worship locations! #SundayWorship
Click any of the graphics below for more information!