I am in a rut. Are you?
Listen to this song as your read and scroll::
I am in a rut.
That phrase played over and over in my mind as I drove home from work the other day. A few weeks ago, I was asked by a friend to write for the BASIC blog. I’ve struggled with what to write about ever since. It was too easy for me to write about all the times God has shown me love and compassion and grace, but it was too difficult for me to delve too deep into my testimony. Instead, I’m choosing to tell you about how God has helped (and continues to help) me out of my rut.
According to the dictionary, the word ‘rut’ is defined as being “a habit or pattern of behavior that has become dull and unproductive but is hard to change.” Maybe some of you can relate to this? It’s a clawing, nagging sensation in the back of your mind. You aren’t doing enough with your life. It feels like no matter what you do, no matter how hard you try… you are left feeling unsatisfied with where you’re at. At the end of the school year last year, I decided I needed some time away from school. It was expensive, I wasn’t entirely sure of my major, and I wasn’t making any sort of social connections with my peers. I spent my summer at home doing something I love -- working at a summer camp.
Following camp things became a bit dry. I wasn’t constantly surrounded by my peers. I have three wonderful roommates, but they have lives away from the apartment. I’ve bounced between two jobs: one I really enjoyed but had to leave due to circumstance, and the other I absolutely loathe. Ultimately I feel like my life hasn’t been fulfilling lately. I’m not in school and I hate the work I’m doing.
But God calls us to so much more than this!
Prior to graduating high school, my youth pastor shared a bible verse that has stuck with me throughout the years. In Jeremiah 29:11, the writer states, “For I know the plans I have for you”, declares the Lord, “Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.”
This simple verse is packed with so much hope! God is not calling us to sit back and watch our lives fly by! God wants us to be proactive and live with excitement and hope! He wants us to look forward with anticipation for our lives, but also for when He returns to take us with Him to live eternally! Until that day, God expects us to delight in everything and not be complacent!
You’re probably wondering, “Well, what can I do to make this happen?” So I’ll leave you with some words of hope and encouragement. First of all, you’re not alone! Through BASIC we are surrounded by a group of welcoming, loving people that will help you. There’s always someone! There is always hope in the Lord, too. He’ll never let you down. It may not feel like it all the time, but God is always with you. Additionally, if anyone needs someone to chat with and a good listener, you’ve got a friend in me. I’d love to listen to you!
It’s okay to feel like you’re in a rut! In some cases, they’re probably a good wake up call as to where you’re at in your spiritual journey. And you know what? God meets us in the middle of all of it. God never lets us down, and God never lets us live this life alone.
I’ll leave you with words from Joshua 1:9 -- Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go. (Reflect on this blog by clicking here for a free printable coloring sheet!)
draw-er and stargaze-er, Gospel Mime member, Harry Potter enthusiast
- SANCTUARY // Thursday, March 8 at 8pm (doors open at 7:45) // Lang Hall // No homework, no drama, no midterms, no expectations -- just come sit and be! Our music and creativity teams have been working together to create some AMAZING and INTERACTIVE stations for you to be, listen, and respond to God. Bring a friend -- you don't want to miss it! #sitting #singing #silence #solitude
- NO BASIC NEXT WEEK // Spring Break // Thursday, March 15 // Enjoy your week -- whether that's staying in Cedar Falls, going on a mission trip, or going home! God is with us EVERYWHERE. #clickthepinklink Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org where can YOU see Him working during your week!!
- OPEN MIC NIGHT // Thursday, March 22 at 8pm // Lang Hall // WELCOME BACK. We want to hear all that God was up to during your spring break -- whether that was special time with your family, a kiddo's laughter in another country, a conversation with a coworker, etc. COME AND SHARE. plz. #BLESS #story
- COME HANG OUT WITH US ON SUNDAYS // Join us at Orchard Hill Church or Nazareth Lutheran Church. Worship times are listed on graphic below!
- CREATIVITY TEAM // Fun fact: you don't have to be "good" at painting or drawing or being artsy to be part of Creativity Team!! Anyone is welcome to join this awesome team that helps form creative elements to allow humans to experience God is a variety of ways at events such as Sanctuary, Fall Bash, and Love Does. This is a GREAT way to get plugged into a fun, hands-on community. Click the graphic below to sign up!
- TRY PIE // Buy pie just in time for Easter! #yourmomwillloveyou // Try Pie is a social enterprise structured youth ministry that uses employment as an opportunity to engage and equip young women for their futures. They recently got a storefront in Waterloo. WAHOO. Visit trypie.org for more information and to order yummy, homemade pies. #noregrets #peachblackberrypieismyfav
- WHAT'S NEXT // Stayed tuned for more information on two vibe events quickly approaching. 1) an exciting, show-stopping AfterBASIC (3/22) #THEGREATESTSHOWMAN and 2) a powerful Maundy Thursday service (3/29) including 5 students sharing their stories and aspects of a Gospel Mime portraying the night before Jesus was crucified. ALL ARE WELCOME.
(Click on any of the graphics for more information!!)