When God Looks At You
How does God look at you?
I love lists. As a Type A elementary ed major who was raised by a mother who loves list, I love lists. So, below I have written out a list of what God has shown me in the past year and a half. A list of how God looks at me:
- Forgiven: Satan is real. Temptation is real. Sin is real. And sin is undeniable. We aren’t Jesus, we aren’t perfect, so we sin. It’s a part of being human. You can come to terms with the fact that you are not sinless, but can you understand that you are forgiven? No matter how deep and dark the sin, God has already forgiven you. That is what the cross is all about. This doesn’t mean we can go off and be reckless and go crazy sinning; however, it does mean that when we make mistakes, when we don’t see our sin, and even when we do, God is there to forgive us. Give it over to God and He will take your sin, forgiving you and loving you through it.
- Beautiful: A constant struggle for me (and I’m sure for so many others) is to find beauty in all the flaws. I have spent years doubting that I was beautiful. I looked in the mirror and never saw it. The society we live in makes it difficult to believe that everyone has their own kind of beauty, BUT the God we worship makes it known that we are beautiful. Every single one of us. Because we are made in His image. To God, we are the most beautiful creation. YOU are His most beautiful creation. We are beautiful because we are His. That is all that matters. It may be a step by step process to find beauty in the mirror, but God is there to walk alongside you.
- Loved: I always find myself coming back to the word “Love”. It’s the word God is consistently trying to press into my heart and get me to understand. He wants me to understand that I am worthy of His great love. His overwhelming, neverending, reckless love for me (Reckless Love by Cory Asbury. <-- Click that link!). Through this song, a mission trip to Jamaica, the people around me, and many prayers, God has tried to get it across to me that I am loved. I am So loved that He gave His one and only son for Me. Me. (John 3:16 #sundayschool). Woah. I don’t know about you, but that is a God that I want to worship. One that had an undying love for me and does everything for me. I have heard about God’s love for me so much in my life, but there is something different from hearing it and accepting it.
Going through different trials, there were many many times where I doubted these words. I doubted how God looks at me. In those times, I needed to remember to look at myself in the eyes of the Lord. It’s crazy how different you see yourself. God wouldn’t shame you. God wouldn’t call you names. God wouldn’t see you as unbeautiful or unforgiven or unlovable.
I suggest writing the words that God thinks about you on your mirror, on your wall, on a canvas. Look at these words each day and remind yourself that you are loved. Forgiven. Beautiful. Intelligent. Worthy. Brave. Redeemed. Accepted. Known. Free. Blessed. Pure. Complete. His.
You are His.
God looks at you & sees His Child. Wholly and dearly loved.
You are a Child of God.
- LOVE DOES // Thursday, February 8 at 7pm // Orchard Hill Church // FREE lasanga dinner, teachings about reconcilitation, and a chance to serve the community through making pies as we partner with TryPie. THIS is an event that you do not want to miss!! Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need a ride!
- IF GATHERING // THIS WEEKEND, February 9-10// Nazareth Lutheran Church // What if women gathered together to share their stories and talk about Jesus? THIS is that opportunity. GALS. DON"T MISS THIS. Come spend a weekend listening to speakers, eating, sharing, and being honest. For more information or if you need a friend to go with, click the graphic below (explore the website!!) or email Sara Rockow at email@example.com.
- WORRIED? ANXIOUS? // Thursday, February 15 at 8pm // Lang Hall // Andrea Pingel will continue the Sermon on the Mount series NEXT Thursday as she teaches from Matthew 6:24-34. Come hear what Jesus has to say about being worried in this world! Bring a friend!
- STORIES FROM THE SEATS // Sharing our stories is important. #BLESSmodel Jenna Carey will be sharing how her story and God's story collide at BASIC on February 15!
- FREE LUNCH // February 18 after 10:45am service // Orchard Hill Church // Soups and sandwiches will be served! YUM.