Take a moment, close your eyes, and picture Jesus. What does He look like? What is He wearing? I can almost guarantee the image you have in your head is different if you were to compare your answer with anyone else. This is a pretty typical Sunday school activity, something you probably did when you were much younger. I don’t know about you, but the image I have of Jesus has not changed much since the first time I did this.
When I was growing up, my dad had a small leather Bible that he always carried with him in his backpack. Inside the front cover of the Bible was a blank page. On this blank page, I used to stick every sticker I collected, whether they were stickers from my clementines or Disney princesses covered in glitter. My dad never protested, he would just hand me the Bible and let me place them wherever I wished. Eventually, my collection overflowed from the inside cover, and onto the next page. Once the front few pages were covered, I flipped to the back cover to continue my collection there. Taped on the inside of the cover was a picture of Jesus.
As a four or five year old, I had never given much thought to what Jesus looked like to me. I knew about Him, and I knew I believed in Him and what He did for me, but I did not have a mental image of what this guy looked like. The moment I saw this picture, I knew it was Him. My dad didn’t tell me it was Jesus, it had no label underneath to tell me it was Jesus, but I knew it was Him anyway.
A few weeks ago, a good friend asked me how I pictured Jesus. This picture was the first thing I thought of. I told her about the small leather Bible that I had covered in princess and clementine and Winnie the Pooh stickers. I told her about the picture of Jesus, and I realized that all these years later, my idea of Jesus has not changed.
I look much different than I did back then, and my relationship with Jesus looks much different too. I have taken a personal responsibility to grow closer to Jesus since moving to college. I make it part of my daily life to talk to Him, be in His word and find little moments of joy in every day. But, through all the events in my life, I picture the same Jesus next to me. Circumstances change all the time, but Jesus does not. He is constant.This is something I remind myself of daily, and find a lot of comfort in. I hope you can too.
Dog lover, Movie obsessor, Future educator of not-so-tiny humans
- Open Mic Night // This Thursday we’ll be gathering in Lang to hear everything God was up to during your break! Whether it was spending time with your family, traveling to another country, or a conversation with a coworker, we’d love to hear your story! Come and share! #OpenMic
- After BASIC // #AfterBasic is happening this week!! Keep an eye on our social media and stay tuned for more details!
- Breathing Room // Join Thursday April 4th as we dive into our last series of the semester! Kurt Vander Wiel will start us off with a teaching on the Sabbath. We hope to see you there! #AllAreWelcome
- Lenten Lunch // Join us this Wednesday for a free meal from 11:30 - 12:15 pm in the Commons at Orchard Hill Church! Andrea Pingel’s teaching will follow until 12:45 pm. We hope to see you there! #LentenLunch
- Orchard Hill Church Recycling Team // Are you looking for an opportunity to serve your community? Orchard Hill Church’s Recycling Team is looking for volunteers! Their team helps recycle the paper, cardboard, and styrofoam that is used on a weekly basis at the church. If you are passionate about recycling or serving, this is a wonderful opportunity to practice the Serve part of our BLESS model! #Serve #BLESS
- College-Aged Lunch // Join us Sunday, April 7th after the 10:45 service at Nazareth Lutheran Church for a free college-aged lunch of all your grilling favorites! Bring a friend and bring your appetite! #BLESS #Eat
- Maundy Thursday // Join us Thursday April 18th at Orchard Hill Church in Cedar Falls for our student-led Maundy Thursday service! Service starts at 7:00 pm, and is open to people of all ages. Don’t forget to invite your friends and family! We hope to see you there! #AllAreWelcome
- Jennie Allen + Christy Nockles // Saturday April 13th // Jennie Allen and Christy Nockles are coming to Nazareth Lutheran Church from 7:00 - 10:00pm as part of The Freedom Tour Project! Click the graphic below for more details!
- Podcast // Miss a BASIC teaching or want to hear it again? You can now find all of our teachings on all of your favorite podcast platforms, including Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google, and more! Click the graphic below to learn more!
- Life Groups // Looking to get more involved in BASIC? Joining a Life Group is a wonderful way to meet new people and share God’s love! Click the graphic below to sign up for a Life Group in Cedar Falls or Waverly (both on and off campus)! #LifeGroupLove
- Sunday Morning Worship // Join us on Sundays for church at Orchard Hill, Nazareth Lutheran Church, or Orchard Hill’s campus in Waverly! See the graphic below for service times and worship locations! #SundayWorship
Click any of the graphics below for more information!